Gef’s Daily Roundup

Quarterbridge Road

From 9am on Monday Quarterbridge Road will be made one way between the Quarterbridge Roundabouts and to a point just south of the junction with Selborne Drive. This will be in place until Sunday 28 February.

Work to reconstruct the pavement along Quarterbridge Road resumes on Monday having been temporarily paused due to the Covid 19 lockdown. The contractors, Island Drainage & Groundwork Ltd are to begin work on the lower part of the road, from a point just north of the Alexander Road junction, down to the Quarterbridge Roundabouts.

This phase of the project is expected to take 4 weeks. To undertake the work the northbound carriageway will have to be closed. 

The DoI said: ‘The narrowness of the road at this point, together with the proximity of the Quarterbridge roundabouts means that it is impracticable to use temporary traffic lights and allow two way traffic. Using traffic lights here would cause the north bound queue (direction of Bray Hill) to block the Quarterbridge junction and cause unacceptable tailbacks for traffic heading in all directions.’

MERA Recipients Must Tell Treasury

The Treasury is reminding people in receipt of the MERA that they must advise when they returned to work or intend to return to work. 

Earlier this week it was announced that MERA would be extended to 14 February for those who cannot return to work straightaway, despite the circuit break being set to be fully lifted from 1 February.

Treasury Minister Alf Cannan said: ‘In order to ensure people receive MERA for the correct period we need them to contact us by email to advise us of the date they returned to work, or plan to return to work. Anyone who needs additional support after 31 January must inform us by Friday 5 February otherwise we will assume they have re- commenced paid employment with effect from 31 January and do not wish to claim support for the additional period.’ 

Recipients of MERA should confirm their return to work date by emailing the MERA team at MERA@gov.im providing their full name and date of birth and if possible their National Insurance Number.

Heysham 1

A tad technical this but the Mannin Branch of the Celtic League has highlighted issues identified at Heysham 1 nuclear power station. 

The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) has issued a Direction to EDF relating to compliance shortfalls with the Pressure System Safety Regulations (2000) at Heysham 1 Power Station. A Direction is formal enforcement action which allows ONR to direct a site licensee to take specific actions in order to address compliance shortfalls. The Direction has been served after an ONR inspection found a number of pressure system components were overdue for their scheduled examination. ONR is satisfied that appropriate mitigation measures were put in place and that nuclear safety was not challenged by this shortfall. EDF must comply with the Direction by 31 March 2021.

Bernard Moffatt of the Celtic League said on his Facebook page: ‘Heysham 1 has had a troubled life in recent years; it was shut down in 2013 when a defect was found in its boiler pods. The station again was off line in 2014 with a crack in the boiler spine of one of the reactors. A comparable plant at Hartlepool was also closed for checks. The ONR do not normally publish details of unscheduled shutdowns at nuclear plants, an issue the Celtic League raised with the regulator some years ago, Heysham 1 had been due to close this year but its operational life has been extended until 2024.
‘As far as I’m aware neither the Manx or Irish governments have sought information about the service life extension of nuclear plants and the risk assessments undertaken by the operators and ONR.’

Football is Back

Manx football is due to return on Saturday Feb 6 having been suspended at the start of lockdown 2.0. Both the Canada Life Premier League and JCK Div 2, plus the combination leagues, are set to play a full round of fixtures.