Fighting Covid in Madagascar

The gov has donated £800,000 to the World Health Organization (WHO) to help with the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The money will be used to support the WHO’s COVID-19 work in Madagascar and South Africa, which forms part of its wider COVID-19 Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan.

The WHO has identified a number of countries where there are significant funding gaps in tackling the pandemic.  Madagascar was selected as it continues the Isle of Man’s efforts to support small islands and countries, particularly those ranked as ‘low development’ on the United Nations Human Development Index.  South Africa was selected in view of the current funding gaps in the country’s COVID-19 response, and to reflect the Island’s positive cultural, historical and business links.

The £800,000 in funding comes from an underspend in the 2020/21 international development budget, which was unable to be allocated, with gov focussed on responding to the pandemic.

Chief Minister Howard Quayle said: ‘We have heard time and again that no one is safe until everyone is safe.  A pandemic does not respect nationality or international borders.  We must tackle COVID-19 collectively, as a global community.  The rapid spread of COVID has shown us how globally connected we are and I am delighted that the Isle of Man can support the World Health Organization in its vital work to respond to the pandemic.’

Changes to the Border

In case you missed it, the island is now operating a “two plus two” border policy. This means that people who had their second jab at least two weeks before arriving on the island do not need to isolate or be tested, provided they haven’t left the Common Travel Area (UK, RoI and Channel Islands) in the prior 10 days. Anyone who hasn’t had two jabs, including those over the age of 5 but under the age of 18, must isolate until they receive the result of their first Covid test.

Chronicles of Mann

Manx National Heritage’s immersive historical theatre group, Labyrinth: History in Action, are back with a brand new performance. ‘Labyrinth – The Chronicles of Mann’ will take place at the Rushen Abbey on Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 July. 

Allison Fox from Manx National Heritage and Labyrinth: History in Action said: ‘We know about the early history of Rushen Abbey from the Medieval manuscript ‘The Chronicles of the Kings of Man and the Isles’, and our talented cast has been using this as a source of historical information to help bring the stories to life. The later social history of the site isn’t forgotten either, so with a mix of Medieval monks and warriors, and modern tea-dancers and clubbers, this promises to be one of the most varied Labyrinth productions so far!

The stories we are telling will be interpreted in our own unique Labyrinth style, so expect the unexpected – and with a setting as atmospheric as Rushen Abbey anything can happen.’

Performance dates and times:

Saturday 10 July at 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm

Saturday 11 July at 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm

Tickets can be bought online 

Clarkson’s Farm

Bit of exciting showbiz news today as Amazon has confirmed a second series of Clarkson’s Farm. The show, which has highlighted many of the pitfalls of farming life and the hardships faced by British farmers, has proved to be extremely popular since it was launched earlier this month. It follows Jeremy Clarkson and his attempts to run his farm and is actually a tremendous show that has shone a light on farming and created a star out of 21-year-old farm worker and tractor driver Kaleb. The second series is likely to be on Amazon next year.

Sajid Said So

With Matt Hancock resigning as Health Secretary in order to spend less time with his family, former Chancellor Sajid Javid is back in Boris’ cabinet and has set his sights on ending lockdown. The new Health Sec is said to be an opponent of lockdowns and today told the BBC that when restrictions end on July 19, ‘it’s going to be irreversible, there’s no going back’.

Nudists Fined

Two Australian beach goers have been fined $1,000 for breaking Covid restrictions. Nothing too exciting there. But said beach goers were naked and hiding in a forest. The pair called for help at around 6pm on Sunday after they lost their way in the Royal National Park south of Sydney.

Police Commissioner Mick Fuller told reporters: ‘Unbelievably, we saw two men sunbathing naked on a beach on the South Coast. They were startled by a deer, ran into the national park… and got lost.’

Leave a Reply