The island’s Commonwealth Games Association has announced the names of the athletes who have been provisionally selected at the Tier two stage to represent Team Isle of Man at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
They join the 12 people already announced for the Tier one stage, which includes Manx Missile Mark Cavendish.
|Tara Donnelly||Niall Caley|
A total of 30 athletes will represent Team Isle of Man in Birmingham. With Tier 1 and Tier 2 selections now announced, the remaining 9 athletes will be confirmed in April 2022.
President of the CGA, Basil Bielich said: ‘We are delighted to have been able to select nine additional athletes to join the twelve selected at Tier 1. This is a new process of selection which is designed to enable the chosen athletes to plan their preparation and training programme with more certainty and confidence.
‘A number of athletes have been nominated by their respective local sports bodies for consideration. The CGA and Isle of Man Sport are working closely together to give our athletes as much support as possible with their preparations for the Games. This is to ensure that the strongest possible team represents the Isle of Man in Birmingham next year.’
Former Chief Minister Howard Quayle has confirmed he did receive gov support for his holiday cottages during the height of the pandemic.
In a statement Mr Quayle said he was unaware of an FoI being submitted for this information until a story appeared in the media that the DfE had been ordered to release that information after bungling its refusal to publish documents.
He added: ‘My business interests on the Island have never been a secret. They have been on the register of Members’ interests – and therefore in the public domain – since I was first elected as an MHK in 2011. That includes confirmation that I am one of the owners of a self-catering accommodation business (although not involved in its day-to-day running) which offers holidays lets and have been ever since 2006.
‘Like many other businesses on the Island, it was hit hard by the closing of the Island’s borders. Although the company did not apply in the earliest stages, once it became clear that the pandemic would last a considerable time, an application for support was made under the Coronavirus Strategic Capacity Scheme (tourism accommodation).
‘I feel certain the application would have been considered and dealt with like any other on the grounds of eligibility/meeting relevant criteria and the full details will be rightly available when published by the Department for Enterprise. Naturally, on any occasion when the question of support for holiday let businesses was discussed in the Council of Minsters, I made my interest clear and left the room, something which was also minuted.’
So guess what, Boris had a birthday party during lockdown. Because of course he did.
Beliefs Block House Viewing
A gay couple have described their shock at being refused a viewing and the chance to buy a house in south London because of their sexuality. Lachlan Mantell and Luke Whitehouse were sent a message from the owners of the property they were interested in that said they were ‘unwilling’ to let them view or buy it.
The homeowners defended their decision based on their religious beliefs. Online estate agency Purplebricks has withdrawn the house from their website. Mr Whitehouse, 34, and Mr Mantell, 37, have been together for eight years and planned to view the three-bedroom, £650,000 house last Saturday.