It has been a busy week for the island’s fire crews with everything from gorse fires to, well, other types of fires.

Yesterday evening crews from Douglas and Laxey were mobilised to a structure fire in the Laxey area.

On arrival crews were faced with a house that was well alight with flames coming out of every window.  The fire was initially fought from outside the property and once the flames had been fought back the Incident Commander committed four breathing apparatus crews from two entry points.

The fire was brought under control by the breathing apparatus teams and extinguished but there was significant damage throughout the whole of the property. Manx Utilities attended to ensure the utilities in the property were safe and the Police aided us during this incident by closing the road and we would like to thank them both for their assistance.

Crews from Douglas and Castletown were also called to a confirmed fire confined to a bedroom of a house in the Santon area. On arrival the Incident Commander quickly dispatched a breathing apparatus team to the location of the fire and the fire was extinguished using a high pressure hose reel.

Wednesday

On Wednesday crews from Peel were mobilised to a report of a flat fire near the quayside. Further calls from members of the public confirmed that smoke was coming out of the flat window and crews quickly made entry to the flat to find a small fire in the bedroom.

The fire was extinguished by a breathing apparatus team using a high pressure hose reel before any further spread could take place. This fire started due to a plastic candle being left on top of a halogen light that had heated up and caused the candle to catch fire.

Later on Wednesday crews from Ramsey and Kirk Michael were mobilised to a reported gorse fire in Jurby.

On arrival the Incident Commander was faced with a gorse bush that was on fire and spreading quickly into nearby fields.The fire was attacked simultaneously from both sides using high pressure hose reels and extinguished.  Crews remained in attendance damping down for approx. 1 hour damping down the area to ensure that the fire did not reignite.

This fire was caused by burning off in a nearby area and we have been to a number of fires in the past few months were burns have become uncontrolled.  This type of fire can be very challenging due to location and water supplies as well as taking up significant resources but is avoidable if the right precautions are put in place.