Sunday Recap

Well, the TT is back, the riders are back and most importantly the fans are back. The first qualifying session saw Davey Todd leading the way in the Superbike class, as he set the pace ahead of Dean Harrison and John McGuiness.

Peter Hickman set the third quickest lap 126.49mph to lead the way in the Superstocks with Michael Dunlop fastest in the Supersport.

Glenn Irwin also went on to have superb first session, lapping at a stunning 126.616mph on his Superstock Fireblade. It was a similar case in the sidecars with newcomer Harry Payne, with Mark Wilkes in the chair, putting in a superb performance at 110.364mph.

Find a full report here.

Nathan Harrison

We have a bit of a soft spot for Nathan here at Gef and the double MGP winner looked good on his first outing at the TT.

Posting on his Facebook page, Nathan said: ‘Day 1 done, what an unreal feeling! 1st TT & 1st run out round the TT course on a 1000, building up slowly it’s a long week, 10th this afternoon in Superstock was a little surprise for the first afternoon. What a job the Isle of Man TT Races team has done to get it back bigger and better than ever!

‘Big thanks to my mum, dad, sponsors, supporters everyone that’s got me here! Dreams come true 👍


After Saturday saw the team called to aid a sinking (and burning) yacht, Douglas RNLI’s volunteers were needed again on Sunday to assist a yacht with loss of power and steering, the yacht was drifting close to the rocks off the coast near Douglas Head.

Douglas RNLI attempted to tow the vessel but due to the yachts rudder failure it was quickly identified that additional support was required. 

Port St Mary RNLI’s all-weather Trent class lifeboat Gough Ritchie II, was already out on exercise under the command of Coxswain Richard Leigh and was diverted to go and assist Douglas RNLI. It was Richard’s first call-out since qualifying as Coxswain.

Gough Ritchie II had been scheduled to represent the RNLI at the Mona’s Queen Memorial Service at Kallow Point Port St Mary at 1.30pm, but operational requirements took priority. During the tow the yachts rudder and power soon returned, resulting in the yacht being able to manoeuvre themselves back into Douglas harbour, escorted by both lifeboats. 

Oli Dimelow

For two other members of Port St Mary RNLI, Hannah Clayden and Matt Stanford, this was their first call-out since becoming volunteer crew members on the Trent class all-weather lifeboat. Marine Engineer was back on station at 2pm, with Gough Ritchie II back in Port St Mary by 2.45pm, unfortunately too late to participate in the Mona’s Queen Memorial Service.

Oli Dimelow

Edd Christian, volunteer coxswain of Douglas RNLI commented, ‘I am grateful we could draw on the support of our flank lifeboat station to ensure the yacht and its crew were returned to safety. Without immediate intervention the yacht would have ended up on the rocks and the consequences would have been catastrophic.’