Police have said that three young people are believed to have caused the fire suppression system to activate at the gas storage tank on Douglas breakwater last night.
Emergency services and Manx Gas engineers attended the area on Sunday evening after the fire suppression system activated.
This activation resulted in water mist and vapour covering the tank and could be seen from some distance away with the public being asked to stay away from the area while the situation was assessed.
A Police statement said: ‘It became clear that the activation had been caused by deliberate damage to a pipe on the tank. The matter was quickly fixed and after a period of time emergency services stood down from the area. The damaged pipe contained normal air and no flammable gas was released. The breaking of the pipe tripped the fire safety systems.
‘Three young persons were quickly identified as being responsible for the damage and they are assisting the Police with their enquiries. Police would like to thank the Isle of Man Fire and Rescue and Manx Gas engineers for quickly assessing and dealing with the incident. We would point out the obvious dangers of persons tampering with Gas supply equipment and trespassing in prohibited areas.’