Breaking
Wheels on the Bus… Might Not Go Round
Right then, deep breaths everyone…the bus strike saga rolls on.
The government says talks are still happening in what it’s calling a last-ditch attempt to stop bus drivers walking out this weekend.
Members of Unite the Union have warned that 10 days of industrial action could begin this Saturday (February 21) in a row over pay, premium rates and proposed changes to sick pay and holidays.
Drivers backed strike action in a ballot last December after negotiations over terms and conditions.
In a punchy statement, the Isle of Man Trades Union Council said no agreement had been reached. It added it had not softened its position and would not move on the key issues.
Meanwhile, Bus Vannin is drawing up contingency plans in case services are disrupted.
The Department of Infrastructure says it has now made a fourth offer following conciliation talks at the Manx Industrial Relations Service, and hopes planned action can be suspended while discussions continue.
An urgent question on the dispute was also raised in Tynwald this week by Arbory, Castletown and Malew MHK Jason Moorhouse.
So… will the buses roll or won’t they? Who knows.
