Connect with us

Charity

Band Heads to Blackpool

Photo credit: Amore du Plessis Photography

Published

on

Onchan Silver Band is heading to Blackpool later this month, for the National Regional Brass Band Championships, having entered the competition for the first time in its 85 year history last year.

We chatted with Mark Halliday about the competition and the band’s growing success.

Led by musical director David Karran, whose own story we will feature in the coming weeks, the band has been growing in recent years and wants to build on its respectable seventh place last year.

Reflecting on last year, Mark said the trip is looked back on as a ‘resounding success’ He said: ‘There were sixteen bands in our section and we placed seventh – which for a first attempt is pretty impressive I think. However, there’s a bit of a feeling that we perhaps deserved more!’

Certainly the leading UK industry publication, 4barsrest, seemed to think so, praising the band on its debut.

Unfinished Business

Looking ahead to this year, Mark said the band is returning to Blackpool to measure and prove themselves against the other bands and seeking constant improvement.

He said: ‘Onchan Silver Band very much has the feeling of a band building something that will be successful in the long-run, and this competition is very much part of that process.

‘Prior to 2022 the band had only ventured across to compete on a couple of occasions (and never at the Regional Championships), but the most recent was in 2010. The band is now in a strong position in terms of members and support, so it’s great to be able to go back; it’s something we plan on doing every year now. The process of competing really challenges the group as individuals and as a whole, and it is one of a number of things which continues to drive the band’s growth and improvement.’

Support

As a registered charity, the band is reliant on donations to keep on playing and Mark said Onchan Silver Band is ‘extremely grateful to the WHC Brien Musical Benefactor Trust who have recently provided the band with financial assistance’.

He added: ‘Thanks to their support we have purchased a number of brand new, high quality instruments, specifically for use by some of our younger musicians who have transitioned into the full band.

‘We are very proud of the band’s long history of training musicians of all ages. Currently our training facility – the Isle of Man Brass Academy – is led by our Musical Director (who also happens to be a music teacher). When members make the move from the training section to the ‘senior’ band, it is not always easy to provide the tools that they really need to continue progressing – instruments are very expensive! This support has meant we can offer our young members the sort of instruments that will enable them to keep improving and growing in our band.

‘We have also received support from the Isle of Man Steam Packet company who have always been a great to support our off-island, on-island, and even once round-the-island adventures.’

Come Watch

The contest in Blackpool is on February 26 at Blackpool’s Winter Gardens, but the band also has an open rehearsal on Saturday February 18 in Onchan’s Methodist Church.